Sunday, April 10, 2016

New Tangle: Knightstar (Video!)

I finally managed to make another post! *applause and confetti* ^_^ So, this tangle Knightstar was so named because it kinda looks to me like Knightsbridge got pinched into a bunch of star shapes...I couldn't figure out how to create a nice simple step-by-step on paper, so I decided to try making a video of it. And then I decided to record some actual proper audio over it instead of my usual royalty-free music...

Here it is, in all its dubiously awkward glory ^_^ Please excuse the horrible audio quality. And the fact that I clearly don't know what I'm doing. And the weak attempts at humor. I am so sorry. But I'm too lazy to record it all again.

EDIT: Margaret Bremner (and perhaps some other people I wasn't aware of) mentioned that Knightstar bears an extreme resemblance to Knightspeek, by Donna Lacey, CZT - I do think mine is just different enough in execution and end look to perhaps deserve a separate name, as hers is a single star and mine is constructed from an underlying grid, in individual fragments. Thoughts on this? Either way, thanks to Margaret for bringing this to my attention ^_^



Enjoy and be inspired! ^_^

14 comments:

  1. Love LOve LOVE this Daniel! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!! No worries about the audio - was too focused on your hands to pay much attention to it. Love the tangle - going to try it out right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knightstar is a really cool tangle. However, I couldn't see what you were doing in the first part of the video with the hashmarks, etc. It was too zoomed out and your hand was covering what you were dong. However, I'd love to see the actual step outs for this tangle. In your copious free time, could you please do static step outs for us. What did you use to record your video? As a blogger, I need to learn how to go down video rabbit hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ech, sorry about that! ^_^ The hashmarks part is pretty simple, I'm basically dividing each line into four roughly equal sections, but I'll certainly try to crank out a static step-out in my free time(the amount of which will probably only seem copious once I'm in college, looking back and shaking my head ^_^). As for how I did the video, I stuck my iTouch on a tabletop tripod pointed down, then cropped/sped up parts and recorded the audio in iMovie (which is free on any Apple device). Thanks for viewing and such ^_^

      Delete
  4. Love it Daniel!

    http://mollybeesattic.blogspot.com/2016/04/knightstar-pattern.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tangle Daniel. You do know the Diva used this as her Challenge for the 1st of the month, right? :-D I did the step-outs for it before I tried it on a tile though. And I found that the larger the square, the more hash marks are needed around the square in order for the "petals" to come out rounded rather than chunky.

    Thanks for the tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Daniel~

    You popped over to my blog just a while ago and mentioned that you were curious about the way that I drew "Knightstar". I *just* updated that post with a video. :) Link to it is right here: http://www.everythingis-art.com/2016/08/new-tangles-take-you-to-new-places.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I like it a lot ^_^ ...Would you mind if I put a link to it up in the blog post?

      Delete
    2. Stephanie, I love your take on Daniel's tangle! Thanks for sharing it. :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! The Zentangle Diva featured Knightstar for UMT. I think it's really cool (to use an old term). Here's my post in response to the challenge: http://www.boomeresque.com/zentangle-diva-challenge-278-knightstar-and-back-to-edinburgh-edition/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! And you're right, although it has the same construction as Knightspeak you're repeating it in a grid which has a really interesting result. I admit, Iike the boldness of alternating black and white squares, but your shading method is cool too. Givin' it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one Daniel. Does anyone recall String Art? Make your marks anywhere you would like on the edge of any shaped "space" of your Zentangle, then connect alternating marks. Some great shapes should appear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's very cool, Daniel. :) One square alone is striking, but to fill a tile with them, alternating directions, is a whole new ballgame! Fabulous effect. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You MUST re publish as a step by step. Almost all of us file our tangles by the step outs. Please give step outs!

    ReplyDelete