Monday, August 17, 2015

Diva Challenge #231: The Undulating Tangles in C and S Minor AND Tangleation Vocation #19: Crescent Moon by Zentangle

Several unsatisfactory attempts preceded this one for the Diva Challenge this week...

Tangles used: Dansk, Onion Drops
I have a massive, massive stack of cheap "rice paper" to use up, so I did this Zendala on some of it. I like the texture. ^_^

And speaking of nice textures...this watercolor sketchbook I got in California, the Global Arts...um...Travelogue, I think. Er...I don't know. If you're curious just search "Global Arts watercolor book", I guess. ^_^ OhmygodIfreakingloveit. And it was 30% off when I bought it... *salivates* ^_^ Here are the three things I've done in it so far.

Tangles used: Jeewels, Flux, Betweed, Pokeroot, Sand Swirl, Emingle, Mooka, Hibred, Crescent Moon

Tangles used: Shattuck, Crescent Moon, Fescu, a wavy thing, Featherfall, Sand Swirl 

With black ink from an inkstone and Prismacolor colored pencils
Just looking at that last picture I'm sure you can see the incredible texture ^_^

And finally, what I did for the Tangleation Vocation challenge, Shattuck...which involved Mooka. Again. Maybe I should just rename this the "Mooka Challenge." ^_^ 

Tangles used: Shattuck, Mooka

Tangles used: Shattuck
Also - I'm thinking about just having participants email me their entries so I can post them directly here and link back to their blogs or wherever else (if at all) they're posting their art if they want. It'd make for easier viewing of the wonderful stuff I'm getting and let people without blogs or the like to show off their stuff too ^_^ If you think this is a good idea, tell me in the comments. Thanks! ^_^

And now moving on to this week's Tangleation Vocation: Crescent Moon, the tangle everyone knows and loves. Enjoy and be inspired! ^_^

Oh, and make sure to check out my YouTube channel for occasional drawing videos! Link's in the description ^_^ Thanks!



18 comments:

  1. Be careful what you wish for. I think the Diva used to post everyone's challenge tiles for them somewhere, but as you can imagine, this became practically a full time job. In other words, you could be hoist on the petard of your own success.(I have no idea why I thought an Elizabethan reference was appropriate here). I'm glad you found a sketchbook you love. You can really see the texture of the paper in the page with the trees. You seem to have had a burst of Zentangle Inspired Art productivity. This could probably be compared to the "nesting" house cleaning frenzy many women experience shortly before they go into labor. When I found myself on my hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor (something I'd never done before) while 39 and a half weeks pregnant, I understood what that nesting thing meant. In your case, I think maybe you are subconsciously having a tangling surge, aware that with the start of school, you will have much less tangling time. Feel free to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea what you're talking about.

      ...I'm joking. You probably know much better than I do ^_^ And now that I think about it, you're right. Even though I bring a little sketchbook to school and doodle in it whenever I can. ^_^

      Delete
    2. I didn't have a separate notebook for doodling in in high school. I just doodled all over my school notes. I was an even more intense doodler in law school That's probably how I survived. ;-)

      Delete
  2. What a nice flow. I really love the way your ran the ribbon right through the center.
    Nice work,
    Lee Darter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Onion Drops. I thought of using that one, but thought "how boring"! Not so, yours looks so beautifully flowing. A new journal, notebook, art pad is always so inspiring. I particularly like the colored one that you did. Your Mooka is yummy with the white too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your pieces, but especially the one in the journal with ink from ink stone.
    That rice paper texture looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that pic is real art - I see something diff every time I view it.

      Delete
  5. Shattuck and Mooka are my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all so very beautiful and your choice of tangles for this week's challenge fits the bill. Its quite elegant and serene - love the addition of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done well and soooo much! I do like your tile for the Diva Challenge on that paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done so many - I'm jealous at your time ;)

    No seriously: wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rice paper adds a very nice touch to the texture of the Challenge. I like tangle choices to play with. Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  10. What stunning work you have brought us this week! I love the textured paper, I love the tan-toned Shattuck and Mooka. I also love how you wove that ribbon through the Shattuck, as you wove the branches through the onion drops. What beautiful flowing work! I am officially blown away by your entire post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing. Thank you for sharing your work. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful work! I really like your Shattuck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of great work here Daniel. I really like the one with the Prismacolor pencils. Very creative and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All your pieces are so lovely! I've never tried rice paper for tangling but I have to try now.. I really loved the silhouette drawing. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daniel, you always do such amazing work! I can see from the silhouette picture what a wonderful texture that your paper has. It looks like a dream to work on. I'm still trying to find my perfect paper. I was trying to figure out which my favorite piece this week was, but I can't even make a choice. However, that being said, I really like your Shattuck/Mooka challenge. It has such wonderful texture and depth to it. Nicely done....all of it!

    ReplyDelete